Home & Kithcen Appliances Essentials
One of the most important rites of passage someone can go through is living on their own for the first time. When this actually becomes a reality, though, many people find that actually being responsible for their own laundry, shopping and especially cooking is a bigger burden than they had thought.
In addition, many single-bedroom apartments have a kitchen the size of a shoebox and money is likely to be tight. Never fear, though: it really is possible to create a compact kitchen on a budget by knowing what is important and what you can do without, and opting for substance over hype. The main criteria for the appliances and equipment listed below are space-efficiency, ease of cleaning and having multiple uses – all issues that will be close to the heart of anyone creating their own home for the first time.
Mise en place, or cutting stuff up, almost always takes up more time and effort than the actual cooking and stirring. For this reason, the best possible investment you can make in your kitchen is paying a few dollars extra for a set of knives you’ll be using for years to come.
Everyone’s requirements are different, so read some detailed reviews at Cut it Fine before making your choice. Keep in mind that having more knives doesn’t automatically make your life easier: most professional chefs only use a wide-bladed knife, a paring knife and perhaps a serrated blade for all but the most specialized tasks.
An Induction Stove
Unless your new home comes equipped with a cooker, your best bet is likely to be buying a countertop model with two burners (so you can use one to cook, say, pasta while the sauce simmers in the other). There’s a strong temptation to go for the cheapest option, namely a $30 to $40 stove with spiral electric elements.
This is really not economical in the long run. It’s a virtual certainty that you’ll end up replacing it within three months. Even worse, they often break not by the element burning out but by the switch fusing shut, meaning that it will just keep getting hotter and hotter until something gives. Induction cookers, by contrast, are safe to leave on unattended, inexpensive and can usually be cleaned just by wiping with a damp rag.
A genuine cast-iron skillet and a heavy-bottomed saucepan are very nice to have, but in reality aren’t worth breaking the bank over. The best advice here is actually to buy crap and replace items when you can afford it. For most people, a frying pan, a small (18 cm) and large (24 cm) pot will be all that’s needed. If you’ve chosen to go the induction route, just make sure a magnet sticks to them, or they won’t work.
A Toaster Oven
If you plan on cooking for yourself without going to a lot of trouble or getting bored to tears, a tiny electrical oven is a necessity. These typically cost under $50 and can accommodate a quite respectably sized pizza, casserole tray or cake mold. If you’re one of those people who doesn’t like cold cereal for breakfast, you’ll also be happy to know that muffin batter can take only 5 minutes to mix and another 15 to bake.continue reading
Among all the house hold essentials you might have, you cannot deny the importance of garbage disposals in your kitchen sink. Imagine how your kitchen will, and for that matter your entire house will smell without a proper garbage disposal system. There are broadly two types of garbage disposals, the continuous feed and the batch feed. In this article we are going to discuss the pros and cons of both the systems.
As the name suggests, a continuous feed garbage disposal system starts running the moment it is switched on. They keep on grinding the garbage continuously as it comes. Following are some merits and demerits of continuous feed systems.
- They are the ideal models for homes where a large amount of waste accumulation is very regular. The continuous grinding and disposal of the waste keeps the kitchen clean and hygienic.
- It is cheaper and thus holds a better market nowadays.
- If you are really busy in the kitchen or cooking for a huge volume of guests, you can peacefully keep on trashing
- the wastes down the disposal without worrying about the clogging of kitchen sink pipe.
- It can be a little unsafe if you are not careful enough. Since the power is always running, if you accidentally slide a spoon down the sink, a great deal of damage could be done before you can actually manage to power it off.
- Since it is continuously powered on, you may be getting a little bit of hike in the utility bills.
- The water usage will be more as a continuous flow will be required.
In this type of disposal, the waste is ground in phases or batches. In the coming paragraphs we are going to discuss some advantages and disadvantages of this system.
- If the waste generation at your home is not much, then this is the best option for you.
- These models come with a stopper in the opening to stop unnecessary things from going into it accidentally, thus preventing accidents.
- With batch feed models, you need to fill the chamber first and then power on when you need a disposal. Thus if some foreign body is dropped, it can be removed before running the power.
- For larger amount of waste this is not a good choice.
- Since you need not power on while disposing, people have the tendency to deposit wastes in the chamber to grind them together when they have more time. But this leads to rotting of foods and other degradable waste causing several bio-hazards.
Now you have got some specific ideas about how the two systems work. Hence you can decide which one is the best suited for your kitchen and needs.continue reading
Cleaning carpets can be difficult, especially with the traditional cleaning techniques, but new age carpet cleaners like the Hoover SteamVac make this job very easy and effortless. Here are a few features of this awesome carpet cleaner.
- Two separate tanks are provided, one to hold the cleaning solution and the other to collect the dirt. This makes preparing and cleaning the carpets very easy.
- Forced heat technology can dry up the carpets in no time after cleaning. This is a big time saver for most people.
- Easy to clean. Not only does the Hoover SteamVac clean the carpets perfectly, but it is also easy to clean the brushes of the cleaner after the use. This is a great benefit as most of the times it is very hard to clean the cleaners themselves.
- Thanks to the SpringScrub technology, the brushes of the Hoover SteamVac rotate in all angles which make it easy to get a deep clean.
- Extension head, brushes and tools make it a child’s play to clean stair carpets and other upholstery with this cleaner.
As you can clearly see, the Hoover SteamVac is a perfect choice for keeping your home carpets neat and clean. If you are carpet lover, you must give this product a try.continue reading
In the market of kitchen faucets, the pull out and pull down models have enjoyed a huge dominance in the recent days. Both are quite reliable and user friendly models of faucets but the similarity of look and feel often renders the buyers in confusion as in which will be the best suited model for them. The buyers are not to be blamed for this. Most of the pull out and pull down models have the same kind of get up where the spout and the handle are attached with each other and a spray hose nestles inside the spout when not in use.
But there are some fairly reasonable differences as well with the two models to distinguish them physically. The pull down faucet has a taller spout thus it is ideal for sinks which have less overhead area. The actual spray hose may be much shorter compared to the spout. A pull out faucet on the other hand houses a shorter spout but a longer spray head for added flexibility. This is ideal if you want to pour water into bowls or dishes from the counter rather than the sink itself.
Of course, there’s a lot more to it, but I suggest you visit Faucet Assistant if you want to know in more detail what the differences are.continue reading
Memory foam mattresses are the latest technology in the bedding industry and have conquered it immediately. Following are some good reasons behind that and some negatives as well.
- Eases joint aches and muscle pain.
- Easily available in the market at cheaper rate.
- Takes the shape of your body creating a comfortable experience.
- Supports critical pressure points of your body thus reducing the chances of body aches.
- It is bacteria resistant.
- It generates heat while adjusting to body shape and temperature.
- It sometimes produces strong to moderate odor during its newer days.
- It takes some time to get adjusted to its actual shape and size after being unpacked so you cannot use it as soon as you get it.
Every single thing has its benefits and flaws, but at the end the buyer has to be careful enough to select the mattress keeping his comfort level in mind. Based on the points by Foam Nights, you can decide on memory foam or not.continue reading
When it comes to buying air mattresses, the first things you look for is the comfort and the ease of inflating/deflating the mattress. But you would be amazed to know that the height of the air mattress also plays a key role. Here is what Sleep on Air says.
Raised Air Mattresses
These mattresses provide the feel of regular beds due to their height but can cause a nuisance if you have toddlers in the house. Kids can easily roll over the edges while they are asleep. But raised mattresses are great for the elderly or people who have knee problems.
Low Profile Mattresses
Perfect if you have kids in the house. Not so good if you have knee problems or hate getting up and sitting down on the floor all the time.
Comfort wise, both the types of mattresses will do a pretty good job. It is your call which one you would prefer and why.continue reading
The increasing volume of crime in modern days has compelled a lot of people giving home security a special thought. There are quite a few varieties of security systems that can be chosen from, the monitoring cameras and a full-fledged security system being the most wanted of them all.
These are typically used to cover larger premises like a large commercial area, shopping mall, departmental store or large office spaces.
- It helps you record footage and store them for future use.
- The recording of videos can be stored up to a space of 1TB for future reference. These recordings can be accessed remotely from different places if networked properly.
- In a whole system the display unit can be divided over more than one camera thus it is easier to vigil more than one place.
- It may come with alarms and other surveillance features.
- PTZ, night vision, water and fire-proof facility are also very common in the package.
- Highly complex system thus needs expert help to install.
- More expensive.
- The setup is not very flexible.
Choose either a single monitoring camera or a whole house security system to keep your possessions and loved ones secure. You won’t regret it.
For more information please visit Home Security View.continue reading